Sunday, February 2, 2014

Thrift Store Side Table Transformation

Another Thrift Store find.  A little side table, which actually looked a little like a child's school desk) which we picked up for $8.  I new exactly what I wanted to do with it.  I was so anxious to get started, I forgot to make 'before' photos but trust me, it had a very light stained finish and the top had a melamine top.  I was a little concerned about paint adhering to the melamine top, even after sanding, but again, the Zinnser 123 Bullseye Primer came through!

So here is the table after it's transformation.




I began with a base coat of beige colored craft paint on the top and sides.  Next, I 'sponged' on a lighter and darker beige to add dimension to the basae and then hand painted the giraffe spots using a brown craft paint blended with copper.  I had already painted the legs a brown color craft paint, highlighted by blending a metallic copper paint for a little bit of sheen.  I taped off the diamond shape in the middle while I painted the giraffe spots, then re-taped the outside/inside edge to paint the inside of the diamond, the same brown/copper as the legs. After that dried, I retaped to paint the copper border around the diamond.  Then the legs and diamond were glazed with a black glaze and after allowing that to dry, the entire table was sealed with Minwax Polycrylic Water Based Finish for protection. To make the spots blend better, I added a little brown paint to the polycrylic which made the spots 'lay down' into the beige base coat.   I was very pleased how well that little $8 dollar thrift store find turned out and it was sold for $60.00.  A fair price considering all the time that was put into the piece.  Blessings until next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment